Saturday, December 11, 2010

Wedding Flashback: Part 1

As I have been thinking about our "Style Overhaul," I keep thinking about our wedding (July 17, 2010), and how I am truly happy with how it turned out.  I have to begin by saying I was a reluctant bride.  For many reasons, I just did not see myself getting married.  I wasn't one of those girls who plans their wedding in their head from the time they are a little girl, or fantasized about THE dress.  But, not long after I met HUBBY I knew that I wanted to be in it with him for the long haul. However, I still did not think I could pull the marriage trigger.  It freaked me out to put it mildly.  As I have mentioned, Hubby and I lived together, and I was perfectly content taking that step. (Livin' In Sin, as my grandmother would say)  When it came to getting engaged and taking the plunge, however, I just got hives, the shakes, downright crazy!  My family knew the way that I felt, but when things started getting serious with Hubby and I, they started asking questions.  Like, "So do you think you'll change your mind about getting married?"  "Come on, deep down you really want to get married don't you?"  All this did was freak me out more.  I could feel "the moment" nearing, and no matter how many times I made it known to Hubby (then Boy Toy) that I DID NOT want him to propose, he just kept saying, "Things will work out the way they're supposed to."

Anywho, one day I was on my way home from softball practice (I coach high school softball), and I called Hubby as always to let him know I was on my way.  He asked what I wanted for dinner, and I said it didn't matter.  He said he would check the cupboards and call me back with options.  He called back a couple minutes later and said we didn't have a whole lot on hand, and asked if I wanted to go out to eat instead.  I of course agreed.  He told me to think of 2 places I wanted to go, and he would think of 2, then we could narrow it down when I got home.

I walked in the door 30 minutes later and went straight to the bedroom to get out of my practice clothes.  I had just reached the bedroom when Boy Toy called me back out to decide where we should eat.  I groaned something about, "Can't I at least change my clothes!"  But, I followed him to the kitchen.  He said he had made a little game for me to choose where we were going to eat.  He had Scrabble tiles out on the counter...Now some would say, "You should have known something was up!"  But, believe it or not, we play games like this all the time, so I thought nothing of it.  He had two piles of letters for me to figure out. I knew immediately the first pile spelled out "Twisted Fork," one of our favorite restaurants.  Then I went to the second pile.  I took one look at it and went into shock.  Before I could say that I knew what the letters spelled, Hubby said from behind me, "Do you need some help?"  I turned around and he was on his knee with a ring.  I said yes (obviously, or he wouldn't be "Hubby" now), but the story doesn't end there.....

No comments:

Post a Comment