Thursday, December 2, 2010

Stenciled Curtains

As I mentioned in my first post, I couldn't find curtains I LOVED when we were redoing our office.  I considered many things:
a.) Giving up
b.) Sewing my own (Yikes)
c.) Settling


Finally, like the heavens parting, I came across Rachel's blog First Home Makeover and her stenciled curtains tutorial.  I knew instantly that I would be stenciling curtains for the office.  Now, what kind of stencil? How big should it be?  What color?  Can I even do this?  After Hubby assuring me that we could handle it, I came across this stencil at Hobby Lobby.  It was $4.99.  I also settled on some black fabric paint for $4.99 a bottle.  I bought 2 bottles, but only used 1, and I had sponge brushes on hand.
Balmoral Border Stencil
I ironed the curtains to get all of the creases out, and then had hubby help me lay them flat and measure.  We didn't mark anything once we'd measured, just layed the stencil down, taped the edges in place and started painting.  The stencil has a guide at the bottom that you can line up with the previous stencil so you know where your next one should go.  
(It's hard to see the stencil in this picture, but it's pink and taped at the top)



I would caution against laying it on top though because you'll get paint on the back of your stencil and drag it onto the curtain. (Not that I know about this from experience)  I would continue to measure from your sides so you make sure your stenciled art is straight.  




We continued to the bottom and opted to stop when we got to the last full stencil we could fit on the curtain.  Here they are all hung up.




The Breakdown:
Curtains $14.99 (Target)
Stencil $4.99 (Hobby Lobby)  http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=144798
Fabric Paint $4.99 (Hobby Lobby)
Brushes $FREE (already had on hand)
Tape $FREE (already had on hand)
TOTAL: $24.97

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brooke! I'm so glad you liked my curtains and I love that I was your inspiration! That makes me so happy. The stencil you picked is fabulous! The curtains look great!!!

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete